Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.


This is another anime micro review. Read here for an explanation. 

This anime takes place in the not-too-distant future and focuses on an elite police squad that uses the latest technology to deal with crimes committed using the latest technology. Ghost in the Shell was a movie first, and if I understand things correctly, this series is a prequel to the movie. The show seems very episodic in the first two episodes. Each episode had the team dealing with a different crime, which did not seem to be connected in any way. Both situations were interesting. The first was more of a mystery, while the second was more straightforward but had more action. One of the cool things about this anime is the technology portrayed in it. Several of the main characters are cyborgs, and it seems like in this world it isn’t unusual for your average person to have at least one or two cybernetic enhancements. Of course, there are also anti-cyborg activists, but that was only alluded to in these episodes. The animation was pretty good, and the plots were interesting. In the first two episodes the characters weren’t developed very much, but they might get more attention as the show progresses. Overall, I’d say this show is more mentally engaging than emotionally engaging.

Content Advisory: Some PG13 language. The first episode had one scene with some brief gore when the main character shoots off a guy’s foot as he’s trying to escape. It also had a scene where the police blow off the heads of three androids. It wasn’t exactly “gory”, but the heads (which looked rather human on the surface) do explode with some sort of black fluid spraying up from the necks. Again, not exactly “gory”, since they were machines, but still kind of disturbing looking. Interestingly, the second episode had nothing like either of those scenes, so I don’t know how I would rate the series as a whole, content-wise.


2 comments:

First statement: Tachikomas rule! They can be so loveable.

The first Movie:
I have seen the first movie, and it was interesting. Before I carry on any further I do want to give the cautionary warning that this movie is by U.S. standards an R-rated film. Last time I saw any of it was probably around the time I got baptized or before (c. 2005). For what I can say for the place in the timline, I would say this is the start of it.

Stand-Alone complex:
You will havee a while with that one. The content will not be as bad as the first movie. You haven't gotten to the central focus of season 1 yet, but for what I can say they will throw in side cases now and then. The current focus will be The Laughing Man. I did like it. Regarding character development, there sould be should be a good level of that, even in the Tachikomas. I didn't mind some episodes having less action than others. There are movie adaptations for each of the seasons, but I have not seen Either. There is a follow-up film called Solid-State Society.

Solid State Society:
First to establish is the content, and its in line with SAC (probably harsher language). Overall, not too bad on that one either.

There is one other movie, and that's Innoscence, but I can't say much since I really have not seen all of it. I think that one may be like the first one though.

I understand if this is more than necessary in info. Let me know what you thought of the show.

September 12, 2012 at 3:08 PM  

Thanks for the rundown of the series and movies. It's good to know that a more substantial plotline will develop as the series progresses. It's also good to have a better idea what the content of the show will be. Again, thanks for your input.

September 12, 2012 at 6:10 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home