This is another anime micro review. Read here for an explanation.
This is a gag anime. Meaning: this anime has absolutely zero
plot or character development. It is strictly a series of jokes and visual
gags. It starts out with, what I thought was, a pretty funny gag. The main
character comes skipping out of her high school and skips blindly into the
street, in front of a speeding truck. Brakes squeal, but she ends up getting
hit. The crowd that gathers around are saying stuff like “Oh my! She’s really
dead!”, “That totally ruins the plot!”, and “What were the writers thinking!?”
I found that kind of funny. Of course, they arbitrarily resurrect the character
and the story continues. In fact, her getting killed doing stupid stuff becomes
a running gag in the first episode. I only watched the first episode because
this anime became very stupid very fast. Perhaps I just can’t appreciate this
brand of humor. It was all I could do to sit through the first episode.
This is a gag anime. Meaning: this anime has absolutely zero
plot or character development. It is strictly a series of jokes and visual
gags. It starts out with, what I thought was, a pretty funny gag. The main
character comes skipping out of her high school and skips blindly into the
street, in front of a speeding truck. Brakes squeal, but she ends up getting
hit. The crowd that gathers around are saying stuff like “Oh my! She’s really
dead!”, “That totally ruins the plot!”, and “What were the writers thinking!?”
I found that kind of funny. Of course, they arbitrarily resurrect the character
and the story continues. In fact, her getting killed doing stupid stuff becomes
a running gag in the first episode. I only watched the first episode because
this anime became very stupid very fast. Perhaps I just can’t appreciate this
brand of humor. It was all I could do to sit through the first episode.
Content Advisory: Some PG13 language. The main
character gets killed multiple times, but I wouldn’t really call this anime
“violent”. It’s really just absurd slapstick comedy.
Labels: anime, Excel Saga, review
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


When I first saw it, I liked it.
I was likely in middle school then, but now, eh, I kinda don't care. About half a year ago I decided to finish the show. Was I ROFLing with this one? No, not at all. It's one of those animes that with every episode, there seems to be a new theme. (i.e. one episode has them in a bowling rink, and another involves power ranger (or sentai)knock-offs).
I would say that at least in every episode, she died once, but even then it could or would get old. Her character is not the easiest to deal with, either.
Interestingly, for a gag anime, they did piece in culminating elements to an overall story. Whether or not it's a good one depends on the viewer.
The only other thing that I would note is that the humor does get a little more risque, and if for some reason you decided to watch the whole thing, then avoid the last episode.
Overall I would rate it a 3 of 5 at the most.
onirotciv00 said...
September 15, 2012 at 11:28 PM