Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

I'm posting the results of another writing exercise. Like the last two I posted, I did this a while ago. The exercise was to write a paragraph while looking straight ahead at a fixed point. You were not supposed to turn your head or avert your eyes from that fixed point until you were done writing. It's interesting how being constrained like this influences your imagination. Here is what I ended up with:

I see a shadow move across the wall. A tall, thin shadow that creeps, inch by inch, from one side of the room to the other. I can't turn my head to see what is casting the shadow. In fact, I can't move at all. My limbs are heavy. My head weighs a hundred pounds.

Creepy enough? Leave a comment and let me know.

2 comments:

So I tried doing this but found it a bit on the challenging side. I kept getting distracted by the kids for one thing and for another I found that after a minute or so of staring straight ahead, once I did get an idea I tried to write without looking and found I had trouble doing both at the same time. LOL But I did like how forcing myself to narrow my focus helped spark ideas.

August 3, 2012 at 9:42 PM  

Yeah, I had a quiet environment in which to do this exercise, and it definitely helped. Like you said, though, it was the idea that limiting yourself could spark creativity that I found very interesting about this.

August 3, 2012 at 10:52 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home