Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

Casting Aspirations

Just as a creative diversion, I decided to try casting the main characters of my fan novel Star Wars: Aspirations. I'm still uncertain if these are the actors and actresses I would actually choose in the hypothetical situation that my story should be made into a movie, but these are the ones I'm leaning towards right now.


Emma Watson as Rani Dashel
Honestly, I've never seen her in anything, so I can't really judge her acting abilities. She has kind of the look I'd imagine for the character, though, and she's a good age for the part. With a few adjustments in makeup I think she could easily portray the very young Rani in the beginning of the story and the more adult Rani later on.

Chris Pine as Wess Nayne
In Star Trek he played James Kirk as an intelligent man with surprising depth of character. It's kind of funny, but one of the things I was looking for here was an actor who could look good with a scowl. I don't really picture Wess smiling much. Chris looks a tad young for Wess, but he's actually about the right age for the character. With a little bit of stubble I think it could work.

Kate Beckinsale as Kalina Sah
She's played tough, butt-kicking characters before. I think she would be totally cool as the strong-willed Jedi Master.

Milo Ventimiglia as Marcus Jrent
His character on Heroes is incredibly kind and sincere - not what you'd expect for Marcus. But Milo is a good actor and I think he could definitely turn on the charm to play this dashing scoundrel. Besides, there is a bit more sincerity to Marcus than it might at first seem.

Cate Blanchett as Deela Tarule
This role requires a more mature actress with beauty and class. Having played royalty on more than one occasion is indicative of the amount of class she has.

Robert Duvall as Riv'var Tal
I picture Riv being completely computer generated in a live-action movie, in order to do the alien justice. So, I was mainly looking for someone to provide his voice. It needs to be an older man with a sort of gruff voice, but he needs to have a tough, grandfatherly feel as well. The voice would then probably be slightly digitally enhanced to add even a little bit more of a growl to it. Duvall can certainly play an eccentric character, too, which further qualifies him for the role.

Corry Edwards as Tefo
Like Riv'var Tal, Tefo would probably be either completely computer generated, or perhaps a midget in a suit. Either way, I was simply looking for someone to provide a voice. Corry Edwards did the voice of Twitchy in Hoodwinked. I think if you toned down the speed and pitch of that character's voice by about half, that's roughly what I imagine Tefo would sound like.

Hugo Weaving as The Imperial Inquisitor
He doesn't show up until about two thirds of the way through the story, and even as far as Chapter 18 he hasn't been named, but aside from the characters' inner demons, the Imperial Inquisitor is the major villian of Aspirations. He embodies everything that Rani and Wess seek to oppose. Hugo Weaving can do creepy and intimidating, which is exactly what this character needs.

So, those are my choices as of now for the main cast of Aspirations. What do you think? Are there other actors or actresses that you think would fit the roles better? Let me know by posting a comment.

5 comments:

I like your choices. Especially Cate Blanchett as Deela is spot on in my opinon (whatever that rates). Of course the script should be completed before the stars are signed. Then you should have a good idea, once and for all, of exactly what will be demanded of the stars and who could best fit what role. A suggestion for Rani (other than Emma) would be Zoe Saldana, she has the athletic ability and sensitivity that would work in the role. Let me think about some others, not sure I have any but I'll share if I do.

September 8, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

Thanks for your opinion! (rates pretty high ^_^)

I know I need to finish writing the story... Hopefully, little exercises like this will help get me pumped up to write it again. That's the theory anyway...

Zoe Saldana is a cool actress. My only concern would be her age. At 32 she's a bit old to play the younger Rani and would look about the same age as Wess, which would be odd. She still has a young face, though, so it might could work.

September 8, 2010 at 5:48 PM  

Good point but seeing as she would have the make-up and head tales I don't think that would be a problem. Any more ides on the side stories of the characters?

September 8, 2010 at 5:57 PM  

I guess I should read more of the story so I know of all the characters that your casting. :P Reading it now!

October 4, 2010 at 6:50 PM  

This was a really cool idea. Sometimes imagining my stories becoming movies helps me get more motivated. I can't say that I've ever thought of actors to play the roles. I usually am planning out movie trailers or something instead. Anyway, you've got some good choices there. Keep writing! :)

October 17, 2010 at 11:38 AM  

Newer Post Older Post Home