Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

I've started a new project to examine how I spend my time and hopefully evaluate how I can use it more productively. I'm also trying to become more balanced in how much time I spend on various activities. I started this project last Monday and tracked my activities through Sunday. Here's some interesting numbers from my log:

I spent 56 hours sleeping. That's an average of 8 hours a day. It's nice to know that I seem to be getting a healthy amount of sleep while not oversleeping.

My second biggest activity beyond sleeping was working. I only spent 16 hours working, so I was kind of surprised that it ranked second. Apparently my activities are pretty diverse. My work hours should ramp up during October, and then stay pretty high through November and December. After the first of the year I'm going to get a full time job.

My third biggest activity was reading. There is no surprise here. This was mostly informational reading. I spend quite a bit of time online, reading up on game design and the like.

Another big one was movies and shows. I was worried about this. I think I may spend too much time on entertainment, but at only 8 hours throughout the week it might not be too bad.

I spent 6 hours on RPG prep, and 3 hours on RPG play. Actually, I didn't have any prep to do for the RPG I played. I was preparing for an RPG I'd like to run in the future.

The most discouraging thing is that I only spent 12 hours on meeting prep, meeting attendance, and field service combined. My goal is to make my time spent on theocratic activities at least third under sleep and work.

Probably the worst thing is that I had 45 hours unaccounted for on my log. That means I spent those hours peddling around doing relatively nothing. It's funny how we never seem to have enough time in the day, and yet we waste so much of our time.

So that's it for last week. I'm logging my time again this week, and trying to make some adjustments.

2 comments:

Okay I typed something up already and I think it got lost grrrr. Okay so, basically I suggested you could shave a tad off the 45 hours becasue you never listed any chore type activities (unless I missed it). And I'm really interested in how this progresses and I look forward to seeing what next week brings!

September 30, 2008 at 9:01 PM  

I didn't list all of the activities I tracked, just some of the highlights. I spent a couple of hours or so on chores.

September 30, 2008 at 11:34 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home