Blogger Template by Blogcrowds.

The World Peace Game

Check out this TED talk about a really cool game a public school teacher created to teach students about world politics and global community. This looks like an awesome activity for kids, and I have to admit I wouldn't mind playing it myself.


5 comments:

Just sat and listened to the entire talk and, wow, that game is really something. These kid's young minds are so fresh and uncluttered and this teacher has been able to tap into their talents. In my thoughts all children are gifted - in their own way - and all it takes is someone willing to set the boundries and let them go. This is what this teacher has done. It would be an awesome game to play but I'm afraid you and I just may be a bit to old to do it properly - not saying either of us are old ^-^ just that our minds are to cluttered with all the history and information we have gathered over the years. In order to give this game credit you have to think outside the "box" (that my friend may be a bit easier for you as you were never raised in one - ie public school system) and yet these kids seem to have never been boxed in at all. I wish I had had someone like this man as I was growing up - I'm thankful that one of my sons did. Thanks for the link, I may have to check out some of the other thoughts and talks at TED.com - interesting mind work!

April 29, 2011 at 4:57 PM  

Yo

April 30, 2011 at 1:07 PM  

Ha! Test done and result found, I can finally comment again! It can be said that children see in black and white, and as they get older that the grey area developes (some more so than others). It can be sad when you see that answers (to certain questions) can be found, but it's the desires of us humans that get in the way. We were given a level of authority, but not this degree.


As for the game itself, something like it may be fun. It's basically a thinktank game by the sounds of it. Table-top games and RPG's are not a one of my choices in recreation, but I have been thinking about trying it out thanks to the application of paper crafts for the game pieces. Right now I could only do it via online, but if you try someting like it, let me know.

April 30, 2011 at 1:41 PM  

wow, that is quite an amazing game. Really, I would like to just sit back and watch the children playing it. Free entertainment right there. This maybe a tiny bit off, but I really like how in the video, the teacher mentions how the principal, although a technology oriented person, has kept this old kitchen table used by her family. For some reason, that just blew my mind. Every time she looks at it, she probably hears the conversations her family has had around it. Just thought that was fascinating.^^

May 8, 2011 at 2:07 PM  

It's amazing that a teacher, especially one from a public school would be able to take the time to put together a "game" that teaches children so much about the world around them and exposes them to the world problems in a way that motivates them to solve them. And the things the kids can do are incrediable, even the ones that are very young. If only the people in charge would listen to them....

May 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM  

Newer Post Older Post Home